Sunday, July 14, 2013

Coordinating Sisters - Week Three

Hello from the CTM! I can't believe I'm already halfway done! I feel like such a grandma now. We're officially the "oldest" English speaking district because the ones that have been here the longest just left. It's weird that the new missionaries don't even know some of the missionaries that were our really good friends.
 
This week was sad because a lot of Sister Skudder and my favorite sister missionaries left the CTM. I'm so excited for them but it was hard to see them go.
 
In other news, Sister Skudder and I were called as the coordinating sisters for the 2nd floor. So basically that means that we look out for the spiritual and temporal needs of the sisters on our floor. We are their first contact when something goes wrong. Sister Degn even explained that we direct them to the emergency exits and everything if the fire alarm goes off or we go and get security in the middle of the night if something happens and we need President and Sister Degn. We also conduct Relief Society. We have already had to counsel with a companionship because they have been having issues getting along. And we greeted all the new missionaries that arrived this week. I am so humbled with this calling and I hope that I will be able to help the sisters to the best of my ability. Please pray for me that I will be able to meet the needs of the sisters and that they will feel of my love for them.
 
So now to the questions so that I don't run out of time:
Have you discovered any new foods that you like or don't like?
I have discovered that I don't like papaya. They serve that here and it's not my favorite. Also, on Wednesday nights they have pizza, but it's really gross pizza. Mine had corn on the top and no pizza sauce, it's just plain weird.
 
What is the funniest thing that has happened this week?
The funniest thing that happened was that during class yesterday our teacher Irmao Allan (he's a funny guy anyways) just jumped up in the middle of class and said he had to go to the bathroom and ran out. It was so random but we just rolled with it. hahah
What is your companion's personality like?  Any quirks?
My companion is super great. I really love her to death and we are the perfect pair for each other. She is so warm and loving to all the new sisters. She just goes up to them and gives them a big hug. One funny thing that she says is lollies instead of candy. The first time she asked me if I wanted a lolli, I was like, what did you say? haha, she has different names for different things but I love it.

What is the best part of the CTM and your least favorite part of the experience there?
The best part of the CTM is learning from so many different people and becoming such great friends with people from all over the world, especially South America. The worst part is sitting for so many hours in a day, I want to move around and exercise more. We only have it for 45 min a day, which is still nice.

How are your clothes - do you feel that you have what you need and want?  How about the shoes? 
My clothes are great. I'm glad that I brought warm sweaters. My shoes are good, you were right like always mom, the brown flats are a little big so they are harder to walk in. I usually wear my brown mary janes which are also great.
 
What do you do when you go out into the city?  Do they give you an allowance for expenses - how does that work? 
When we go out we usually walk around the shops and buy candy or go to the post office. Or there's this really great juice place where they make the juice right then from the fruit. We like that a lot. We just use our own money for all the stuff that we buy.
 
Do you have regular washing machines and dryers? 
We have regular washing machines and dryers. The detergent dispenses automatically and we don't have to pay for it or anything.
 
What do you feel you are sacrificing by serving a mission and what do you feel you are being blessed with?
I feel like I'm sacrificing my want to be in a comfortable environment, but I am so grateful for this opportunity. I feel like I am blessed with so many things. I definitely feel that I put myself out of my comfort zone more. I definitely have a testimony of the gift of tongues and I feel like the language is improving.
 
One thing that I definitely want to share before I have to log off is the experience we had yesterday with our investigator Maria. We were teaching her about repentance and she read Alma 7: 11-12 and 15. After she read verse 15, she pondered for a minute and we sat in the silence. Then the Spirit just rushed in and she opened her soul to us and said that she feels lonely at times but she knows our Savior is here. She committed to being baptized next week and I am so grateful for the Spirit I felt.
 
I have so much more to tell you but I have to go! I love you all and missionary work is the best work!
 
Love you,
Sister Hicks
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment