Friday, July 5, 2013

The and the 4th of July!

Now to include in the blog post:
So to answer your questions Mom:
My clothes are working out great. I'm glad that I brought the warm clothes because it does get chilly here. Not anything really bad but probably in the 50s and 60s. But for the most part the weather is really beautiful.
 
So the only missionaries in the CTM (Center for Training Missionaries-that's how it translates in Portuguese) go to Brazil. There is a MTC in Argentina for spanish speaking missionaries in South America. The Brazilians are only here for 12 days, like English speakers are only in Provo for 12 days. They come and go so fast!
 
Yes, the building is very modern and super clean. I actually don't even have to use my adapter because it takes American and Brazilian plugs which is super sweet!
 
We went to Mr. Cheney's last P-day and it was really awesome! I don't think you can send packages of cookies but I can find out and let you know.
 
I'm glad you guys had a nice Fourth of July at the Sweeny's even though it was beastly hot. I missed you guys a lot yesterday since Fourth of July is such a family fun day for us! But it was super awesome, they COMPLETELY decked out the cafeteria in all this USA decor. I almost cried, it felt like home. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, and ice cream! It was as close to American as you can get in Brazil. It was so funny. We also sang the National Anthem on Tuesday night for devotional, I was very emotional. I also was decked out in red, white, and blue yesterday. I'm so glad that they tried their best to make it seem like home.
 
High school Spanish is helping sooooo much! It's amazing how much is coming back to me and how much I use with the hispanics or use to remember Portuguese words. It's so awesome!
 
So here's some random things I wrote down this week that I wanted to talk about:
So we hear about the riots from our teachers but they aren't going on anywhere near us, or if they are, we don't hear it all. It's pretty crazy how much the taxes are here though. It's 60%! I can see why they're so upset.
 
On Sunday night we had the CRAZIEST thunderstorm I've ever experienced in my life. For a second, I thought the protesters were bombing Sao Paulo, the thunder was so loud! All the Brazilians we talked to were like, "Yah, that's pretty normal." It was insane!
 
Some of the sisters call me Barbie, especially when I'm wearing my pink pjs. It's so funny. They're like, come here our Barbie! haha
 
On Sunday and Tuesday nights we have devotionals. It's so great. We have Mission Presidents, Area Seventy, Temple President, etc. come and speak. Very uplifting.
 
Although some days can be very discouraging, I know that we're supposed to go through trials. Most of my trials come from our two investigators which are challenging for us, Maria and Alessandro. But, we're making progress with both of them. Also, our two instructors are sometimes pretty hard on us, but it's just because they care about us and want us to be the best missionaries we can be.
 
 
I'm so grateful for the Spirit. Sister Skudder and I could not teach Maria or Alessandro without it. This week, we seemed to focus a lot on how the Spirit is CRITICAL in teaching. We don't teach, the Spirit teaches. I'm so grateful for this Gospel and I know that it is true. I do not have a doubt in my mind that this is Christ's restored church on the earth. I'm so thankful for our Savior and for the Atonement. I am grateful for the enabling power of the Atonement that helps us in all aspects of our life. I know that my Redeemer lives.
 
I love you all and I miss you so much! Thank you for all your love and support! I feel your prayers on my behalf every day. I pray for you all every day and I love you all the mostiest!
 
With Love,
Sister Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment