Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Feliz Ano Novo Jan. 6, 2014

Feliz Ano Novo Mom, Dad, Family, and Friends,
So to start off...Mom I got the other package with the twizzlers, MINT M&MS!, pancake mix and syrup (made some this morning), chapstick, trail mix, cute earrings, and all the other goodies! Thank you soooooo much! Also, I got the package from Andy too! Thank you so much and I think it was her that added the red vines (I know you and I are twizzlers people) and peanut butter stuff :) hahah but let her know how grateful I am!
Oh and Kimball and Kelsey, I got your sweet Christmas card! I loved it! What a great photo of you guys and Kelsey you´re just soo cute pregnant :)
Oh and sorry about the whole Skype thing on Christmas day! I would have loved to talk to you guys...but you know how it is, rules are rules
Oh and Dad, thank you so much for your nice letter that your wrote me. I loved it and I´ll always treasure it :)

Also, I received a sweet bunch of notes from Sister Benfell from the Relief Society, Mom I´m going to write a card but could you let her know that I got them and thank you so much :)
Just thank you so much for all the wonderful packages, cards, letters, and never-ending support! It means so much to me! And Mom thanks for sending basketball shorts, saddle soap, and everything else! haha, oh the poor people in the Post Office...it´s the same here, there´s always us 4 mailing letters to the US and to other missionaries...Ukraine, Phillippines, Chile, almost every country haha, it´s always an adventure in the post office here!
Oh and before I forget, transfers are next week so I won´t write until next Wednesday! I really don´t know what´s going to happpen. I still want to stay here in Queimadas but I´m really not sure what will happen! :)
Mom: Hey Mom, I´m sure your lesson was just AMAZING! You don´t need to worry, your lessons are always the best! Wow, and back to 1 o´clock church, woohoo! haha

Oh my gosh, I loved reading Kimball´s 2005 Christmas list, I remember when he made that list, hahah oh Kimball, always a goof ball!
So Sister Stolk just turned to me and said there was a school shooting in Colorado. She said that she knows one of the girls that was killed. The girl swam for her school team and Sister Stolk swam during high school. So sad...
Oh and Mom, that´s so cool that you´ve been visiting the Kerns! I´m sure they just love that! And way to go for going through the house and cleaning! You go mom!
Dad: That´s crazy that there´s so much snow! Wow, I hope you made it home safely!
I loved what you said about Alma and Ammon. It truly was the coolest experience ever when Danilo was baptized. Just how grateful he was that he had made the decision was so cool. It really was such a special day.
Lindsey: I loved seeing all the pictures from Christmas from your blog! Oh my goodness, Norah and Alice are growing up so fast and I can´t even believe it! But they look so great and so happy!

I hope you´re feeling a little bit better! Has the morning sickness worn off a little? And now thanks to Norah, everyone knows that you´re pregnant :)
I think the picture you saw of us with the santa hats was from the branch Christmas party but yes we went caroling too! And Camilla Marques is Danilo´s brother who was baptized a few months ago! hahah, that´s so cool that you´re seeing pictures of me on facebook
It´s pretty humid here too and I think it´s probably the same thing in Dallas. It´s just SUPER hot so everything gets scorched here. And the name of the city is fitting, Queimadas (burned)

hahah, well yesterday was not the best day, I woke up around 4 in the morning and I threw up and then about 2 hours later I threw up again. I don´t know if it was something I ate or what but definitely wasn´t fun. I had a little bit of a fever too and an upset stomach. I ended up staying in our house and the priests, after church, brought the sacrament over. Then I ended up sleeping for almost the entire day. Today I feeling much much better! Just the normal mission stuff :)
So let me tell you about the "Festa de Reis" (Kings party). So Queimadas, every year, has a huge carnival/party called Festa de Reis. It starts on Friday and lasts until Monday. It is INSANE! So in the center of Queimadas they have an amusement park and a huge concert, for four nights straight! And it lasts until 4 in the morning every night! It´s absolutely crazy! It was especially loud Saturday night and I barely slept at all! And people are just drinking and going crazy. Sister Stolk said she woke up this morning around 4 and people were still going crazy in the streets haha!
Oh and New Years seems to be a bigger holiday here than Christmas. I went on exchanges on News Years eve so I was in João Pessoa. The next morning Sister Mitchell and I were on the bus and this guy just threw up on the bus staircase, SOOO GROSS! haha, but anyway, it´s all good, just lots and lots of drinking...
Oh random story, so on Saturday Sister Stolk and I were walking and we heard "I want it that way" by the Backstreet boys. I think that song is probably 12 years old, haha, it was super fun to here just blasting from someone´s house in Queimadas.

So we have a baptism marked for this Sunday. Her name is Sinara and she´s super great! She´s a friend of Tiago and she´s only 19 too! Her family didn´t let her go to church but we went and caroled at her house and her parents said that she could go. The elders had taught her about a year ago but her parents are super religious and didn´t let her go anymore. But their hearts totally softened and we have great lessons with them! So please pray for Sinara! She´s amazing!

Well thank you so much for your love, support, and prayers!

I hope you all had an amazing New Year!

I love you the MOSTIEST!!!!
Love,
Sister Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment