Friday, August 8, 2014

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!! August 6, 2014

Dear Mom, Dad, Family, and Friends,

Well, to start off...I wasn´t transferred! I´m still here in Cabedelo with Sister Maciel, it´s our third transfer together! But I was expecting to stay here. I stayed with Sister Stolk for 3 transfers, Sister Cameron for 3 transfers, and now Sister Maciel for 3 transfers. 

And also, we had a BAPTISM on Sunday! So it was actually a miracle. So, last Sunday, Wellen, one of the sisters in the ward who goes on splits with us a lot, came up to us after the sacrament meeting and said that her son wanted to be baptized. Well, then she said that he was only 8 years old. Well, I thought to myself, oh that´s great but it will be a ward baptism, it won´t count for the mission. Then we asked her, "Well, when does he turn 9?" And she responded, "Oh, tomorrow is his birthday."

In that moment, I was soo happy, I really couldn´t believe the miracle that had happened. We had been fasting to have investigators come to church and not a single investigator had gone to church that day. And then Wellen came up to us and told us that her son wanted to be baptized, it was truly a miracle. 

So he hadn´t been baptized earlier because his grandmother and great-grandmother didn´t want him to be baptized, they thought he wasn´t old enough, and he didn´t want to be baptized against their will. 

Well, we had a family night/birthday party at Wellen´s house the following day, Monday, and the bishop and his wife came and Wellen´s family came. The bishop gave the lesson and it was really great. So afterward, we talked to Wellen and she said that her mom and grandmother said that if Alisson wanted to be baptized they would support him :) It was truly a miracle. 

Oh and also, I made the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that you sent me mom and everyone LOVED them. haha, it was so funny, everyone was like, wow, this is so good, what do you call this? It´s funny how something so normal to us, cookies, is something completely different to other people :) Maybe the cookies played a part in making the family change their minds :)


Mom: 
Thanks for putting more money in my account :) You´re the best. Oh and I definitely second the idea of getting a new wardrobe, haha :)

That was a cool missionary moment that you shared. haha, it´s definitely true that the LDS church is not the church where you can be anonymous, ex. visiting teacher, home teacher, etc. It´s funny because we have been trying to track down a lot of the less-actives on the ward directory and many of them have moved. Well, I think the stake president works for the police and the bishop said that we´ll just give the names to him and he´ll track them down, haha 

That´s so great that Jake got his call! And I loved the email that you forwarded from Danielle, she looks great!

Oh, so that picture of Rosa is actually a different Rosa, but it was still great that she went to church and two of her sons who are also less actives came to church as well :)

Dad: 
Glad to hear that the fishing went well, you sure did look happy in the photo that you sent :)

Good luck with all the ward conferences, I´m sure it´ll be great :)

Keep me updated on Grandma and Grandpa as well.

Kelsey: 
I absolutely loved the photos of Guy that you sent! He is so adorable! I hope he is feeling better. That must have been so horrible when he was so sick. 

I have been keeping a journal and write every night. It´s really cool to go back and read some of my journal entries from the beginning of my mission. It´s crazy how fast the time flies!

Lindsey:
Loved the blog post! Wow, Freya really does look a lot like Alice! At least to me she looks a lot like Alice :) Hope everything is well!

Bryan: 
Glad to hear that Freya is a good sleeper and good luck with the job hunt. I´m sure the right thing will turn up. :)

Kimball:
Glad to hear that you are doing well and also, good luck with the job hunt as well. I hope things improve with the company as well. Loved the pictures you sent! And that´s so great that there´s going to be a baptism! Woohoo!



Well, I have to go but I´ll write more next week! 

I love you all the MOSTIEST!!!

Love,
Sister Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment