Monday, October 6, 2014

Greetings from Jardim Oceania October 6, 2014

Dear Mom, Dad, Family, and Friends,

Well, this week was a little bit hard but this week will be better! It was so great to listen to General Conference and to be spiritually fed. 

It was so great to see the picture of Grandma and Grandpa at Grandpa´s birthday get together. I´m so glad to hear that they are doing well and they looked great in the photo :)

Oh, so the AP just called and said that we are actually going to stay in the old area, Manaíra because an elder is going to receive a greenie tomorrow and they´re going to work in Oceania! Wow, one week working in our new area and now we get switched again! aah! but it´ll all work out :)

Mom: I got the package, the Ensigns, and the Church News article! Thank you sooo much! I´m so glad that they got here so fast and like always, it´s always the best thing ever, receiving packages! 

That´s so cool that you got to see so many returned missionary sisters at the Provo temple! That must have been a great session. 

Thanks for buying the tshirts as well, you´re the best!

Well, I talked to Pres. Nogueira at the Mission Counsel on Tuesday and he said that we would do the endorsement thing for  BYU and when I called on Friday he said that he had done it, so it should work now. Let me know. 

Well, this week was a litle rough, the very few investigators that said they would go to conference (which was at the Stake Center (not very far away, about a 10 min. bus ride) didn´t go...but it was definitely a huge spiritual burst that I needed.

Glad to hear you went to Hire´s and got an asiago bagel at Rich´s! Mmmm...

Dad: Glad to hear that you had a great time fishing. You´ll have to send some photos when you get a chance. I´m sure it was nice to have some time with Kimball as well. 

I´m so happy to hear that Grandpa and Grandma are better. That was so sweet of you to give them a blessing. I´m sure that meant a lot to them. 

That´s really cool that you went to the Conf. Center as well to watch Priesthood! I´m sure it was great to be there! A sister that finished her mission about 3 weeks ago here in João Pessoa sent photos of her and a few other missionaries from our mission that just got home inside the Conf. Center! It was so crazy to see them all together! 

Bryan: Loved the Norah story. Wow, she is just so smart. I can´t believe she has grown up in just a few short months! Sounds like she got some good genes :)


Well, this week Sister Chauque and I truly experienced a miracle. So, we were knocking doors in the new part of our area (that was the Bessa Ward) and no one, literally no one, wanted to hear our message. We even knocked doors and he was an atheist, in Brasil! What?! Anyway, we were kind of discouraged but kept on knocking. Well, then, we knocked on a door and a middle-aged lady opened the gate and just peeked out one eye. 

She said, "Hello?"
We said, "Hi, we´re missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We just have an invitation for you.
"(Oh, sidenote, her two dogs were barking like crazy and it was pretty hard to hear us)
And then to our surprise, she asked, "Do you two want to come in?" 
And I was jumping for joy in my head, "Hallejulah!"

Well, we sat down and started talking to her. We explained that we were missionaries and we started talking about the importance of faith in Jesus Christ. We talked a little bit and shared a scripture with her. Then, she started to tear up and explained how she was really struggling. Her husband, of 35 years, had recently left her for another woman. She then told us that we were 2 angels that had been sent to her. She said, "I don´t even know why I opened the door. I just opened the door and let you two in." 

My testimony was strengthed so much in that moment that the Lord is truly preparing His children to hear our message. And we are His messengers, His angels. I´m so grateful to be a missionary and to be able to see miracles each and every day. I know that we can all see miracles each and every day. We just need to have faith and look for them. 

Another thing that touched me this week was during General Conference. There were quite a few General Authorities that spoke on the power of family prayer. I remembered of my growing up and how you two, Mom and Dad, always called us to say the family prayer and it became a habit. I couldn´t sleep or leave for school without saying prayer. Thank you for your example and for your patience for so many years. I now see and recognize the change that it has made in my life. 

Well, I got to go but I love you all the MOSTIEST!!!

Love,
Sister Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment